Paint, cleaning products, fertilizers and pesticides can create safety and environmental hazards if not disposed of properly, but WOW can help!
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) programs vary by area. Please select from the following:
Here are some helpful tips for dealing with HHW:
- Buy the least toxic option, and buy only what you know you will use.
- Try non-toxic alternatives. Try doing an Internet search for “non-toxic cleaner recipes.”
- For small amounts of latex paint, set the can outside with the lid off to dry, then discard the dried paint and recycle the empty can. For larger quantities, mix kitty litter or sawdust to solidify the paint, then discard in your trash (latex paint only).
- Do not dispose of paint or chemicals on the ground, into storm drains, down the sink, or in your garbage can.
When you bring your items to a collection event:
- Keep all items in original containers. Do not mix chemicals.
- Load items securely in your vehicle, away from passengers or pets.
Do not bring:
- Ammunition, fireworks or explosives (call police for disposal)
- Radioactive materials such as smoke detectors (call for info on dealing with such items; most companies offer mail-back programs)
- Medical waste or syringes (call WOW for disposal options)